Happy Lunar New Year! We’re excited to share a special recipe that blends cultural symbolism with plant-based goodness: Gluten-Free Crispy Vegan Dumplings that shaped like money bags as symbolism of good fortune and wealth in Chinese culture.
Filled with a savory mixture of mushrooms, greens and flavors, each dumpling is wrapped in a bean curd sheet (instead of traditional wheat based dumpling wrappers) to create a gluten-free, vegetarian meal suitable for all dietary needs.
So, whether you’re looking to add a vegan option to your festive table, aiming to impress your guests with your culinary skills, or simply in search of a delicious way to celebrate Lunar New Year, these crispy vegan dumplings are sure to be a hit. Gather your ingredients, and let’s bring prosperity and blessings to your plate with every bite!
Recipe from Dietitian Renee Chan at True Nosh
GF Crispy Vegan Dumplings
- Small bunch of chives or green onions cut into strips
- 2 cups Bok Choy or You Choy diced
- 1/2 cup Shiitake mushrooms fresh or rehydrated, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 package of bean curd sheet
- flaxseed oil or any other vegetable oil
- xoxo sauce for dipping optional
- Mix bok choy, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and white pepper powder together in a bowl
- Blanch the green onion strips in boiling water quickly for a few seconds to soften it. Set aside for use later.
- Place 1 Tbsp of the mixed ingredients on a rectangle sheet of bean curd sheet (size of your hand)
- Roll up the bean curd sheet with the filling inside like a spring roll
- Fold top up to shape into a pouch and using the green onion strip as a string, wrapped the top tightly.
- Grease bottom of an oven-safe skillet with flaxseed oil (or other vegetable oil). Place wrapped dumplings on top.
- Bake in oven at 175C or 375F for 10-15mins until golden brown
- Serve hot with dipping sauce (xo sauce, soy sauce, plum sauce) on the side.